Wednesday 10 April 2013


 In 1994

Looking in
History books-
Feeling helpless-

In 1994

How could I have saved you?
How could I have told you?
Or how could I have warned you-?

That something terrible
Was about to happen?

That I could prevent you’re loss-
And prevent the atroc-ities
About to happen-

19 years a go
And that it wouldn’t cost me
The pain I’m feeling now-
And that you wouldn’t just be-
A memory to me-

Tell me how-
How could I have prevented the past?
And prevent the mass
Killings in Rwanda
Bodies thrown under
Ground-
No sound (from the rest of the world)-

But in 1994
I was only 4…
And I- didn’t know…
How in God’s name to save you-
How in God’s name to tell you-
How in God’s name to warn you-
I’ll always be sorry for 1994.

 
 In 1994-

How could I have changed you?
How could I have shown you?
That we were and are all the same-

Not Tutsi Hutu or Twa-
But Abanyarwan-da-

That there was no difference-
The God above- who made us
Would have been my witness-
What cased you to feel different?
What caused you to feel ashamed?

How could I have shown you in 1994?
That there was more we had in common-
And that all of us belong-ed
There was no reason
For neither one of us to-
Be wronged-
For we have always been-one-
Cause we are all human
Under this yellow and gold- en sun-

In 1994 how could I have shown you?
How could I have changed you?
I apologize for not being able to- stop you-
In 1994


But since I couldn’t be there-
And it’s now our past-

Every April
Our flag hangs
At half-mast-

Your memory
Will forever last-
In our
Hearts soul and minds
As we continue to pray
For all mankinds

That we change the world’s face
Make it a better place-

Because of you
We have learned to
Smile our similarities
And value whatever differences-

We the future strive for a
Brighter future-
With dignity and unity
Moving forward positively

From 1994


By: Angel Uwamahoro

2 comments:

  1. I was helpless too But not anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. very powerful hope they inspire others to do the right thing always

    ReplyDelete